Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why am I not breastfeeding all the time?

This was the question the lactation consultant asked me this week when I came in with Lily. If it's working so much better now, what's stopping me from doing it exclusively, as in no bottles, (even if what is in the bottles is breast milk)? I felt like I couldn't just say "because I don't wanna." But the more I think about it, no, I don't wanna all the time. Sometimes I want Daddy to feed the baby, which won't happen if she's always nursing. I think there's important bonding there. Sometimes I don't have the energy to deal with the concentration necessary for breastfeeding (keep her chin up, nose out, make sure she's latched on properly, tickle her to wake her up if she gets drowsy and stops sucking, if she is sucking 4 times between swallows, it's time to switch to the other breast, etc., etc., etc.). It's a lot of frickin' work. Sometimes I love doing it, but sometimes not. That seems normal. I don't want to be supermom.

She also said she wondered why the Neosure and Iron supplements are necessary, as our Pede doc said they are for about a year. The LC is sure my breast milk contains all the magical powers of nutrient that Lily needs, you know, nature and all that. Ah, c'mon. I think I'll have to side with the Pede doc on this one.

No comments: