Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fore and Aft

Like a ship. Actually, it's fore and hind, like parts of a cow or other livestock. If you haven't guessed, I'm talking about breastmilk. Evidently there are two types of breastmilk: foremilk and hindmilk. It sounds like hindmilk should be from, oh, I don't know, your butt? But it isn't. Foremilk is the milk that comes out first in each feeding (or pumping), and hindmilk is the part that comes out at the end. Evidently, the foremilk is more watery, and the hindmilk is the rich stuff with the most nutrients. So the hindmilk is what's best for the baby. Of course it is, because that's going to be the hardest to get to. Now the Lactation Consultant says I have so much milk (good Lord, and to think how worried I've been about milk production) that it would be better if I could express or pump out some of the foremilk before I feed Lily, so that she's not eating too much "salad." Well, that's convenient. NOT! Crikey. I'm trying it, but you know, when Lily starts crying because she's hungry NOW, she's not too keen on waiting 10-15 minutes while Mommy hooks up and dumps the salad.

I'm cranky because breastfeeding has not gone well today. I suppose it's normal to have good days and bad days. She just wouldn't latch on to the right side this morning and I couldn't deal with it so I had to heat up a bottle. Which of course meant putting her down in the crib while I got the bottle ready, and she was crying and screaming unhappily. Aw. I feel bad for her when she can't latch on. It's like we're both trying so hard and we just can't get it sometimes.

Right now I can write because I have her in the Moby. It's the cradle hold and it's the first time we've tried this hold. I don't think she likes it too much, she looks a little squished. But I thought that was kind of the goal of this holder thingee, to squish baby up next to Mommy. Hmm. Well, some days you're just a fussy baby, I guess.

No comments: