Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Waiting

It's hard not to look at Lily and just think about how much fun we'll have later, like when she can walk, and we'll take her to the park and look at leaves and bugs and trees. And then when she's old enough to go to the Children's Museum and the Children's Theatre...it's hard to just enjoy now sometimes. I know everyone says "Enjoy it, it goes so fast." But you can't really see that while you're in the middle of it, so that comment doesn't really mean anything. I try to. I think to myself while I'm holding her how much I love holding her in my lap while she sleeps and just staring at her cutie face and listening to her little snores or sighs, and I think , this won't last forever, revel in it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Carrie - I'm on the opposite end of the parenting circle. The waiting is done, we have shared our experiences, and made our special memories and my beautiful baby boy will be leaving me for college next year!

When I read your post yesterday I remembered how much I loved watching my son sleep. So this morning when it was time for school instead of the normal frantic shaking and barking of orders I took a moment to watch my boy sleep. I asked myself, where did that baby go? Where is my smiley little toddler? Where is the good natured elementary school kid and my awkward adolescent? (When did those legs get so hairy?)

I was staring at my full grown sleeping man child knowing the opportunity to do so will soon be gone. So I woke him with a kiss on the cheek and the little poem I used to sing-song to him when he was a baby rather than the normal frantic routine.

He looked at me and said "what the heck is wrong with you Mom" and got up to start his day! He may not have appreciated it, but it was a special moment for me and I have you to thank. Your words made me reflect on all that he was, and all that he is, and I took time to "live in the moment" while I still have the chance.

Thanks for inviting me to join your blog. Parents on both ends of the spectrum can learn so much from each other!

Enjoy the waiting, you won't be waiting long!

Warm Regards,
Shelly

(P.S. I'll keep these shorter in the future!)