Monday, October 8, 2007

Ah, Breastfeeding


I call this piece "The Glories of Breastfeeding." I just made it a few days ago for an art show my art group, MNAlteredArts, has at the Anodyne coffee shop this month. I haven't even been able to get over there yet and see it because of being sick. Very annoying. So anyway, Miss Breastfeeding here is meant to be very cheeky. Obviously. Those are real bottle nipples that I painted bronze. The postage stamps on her body say things like "Support Our Youth" and "Food For Peace." Haha. There's one on her back that's of Mary holding Baby Jesus. So, some of it is meant to be sarcastic about the pressures of breastfeeding put on women in our culture right now, but other elements, like the colorfulness and the music note paper here and there, is meant to convey the joy I feel breastfeeding (when it's working right and doesn't hurt!!).

No comments: