Saturday, November 22, 2008

My First poem about Lily

Lily Eating Strawberries (17 mos.)

At first she
gobbles them, you
slice each in-
to quarters
like the moon. Her
mouth open, a baby
bird's, waiting
for the next, too
eager to
use her hands.

Then fingers in-
terrupt yours, taking her
time, savoring feel,
movement, guiding her
hand to mouth, then
taste and nourishment. Sated.

Now the careful
pieces become more
experimental, devolve in-
to barely recognizable
shapes, squashed under
the shadow of her
curiosity, until
only red juice
remains.

1 comment:

Chris said...

woah.
This really evokes what is happening! This is observation, mommy.
I love your alliteration and assonance. Huh? fancy wordology, no? i don't know if you were ever trying for assonance, but I hear it. love the descriptive nouns. a little bit erotic, but then it's about a baby. so that's not really what it is, is it? I take that part back.

By the way, I rented Rudolph the RedNosed Reindeer and Santa Clause is Coming to Town to come in next week. So I'm kind of in touch with my four year old.