Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lily Gets a Perm!



Not really! Like I would do that. Right after I give her a tattoo. It's just the funniest nap hair she's ever had. Doesn't she look devilish in the top pic? She gets all sweaty when she sleeps and her hair goes wonky curly.
Okay, so I have to confess to some Mommy neurosis. Lily is now starting to feed herself, which is very exciting, but also very stressful for me. I don't know why it makes me so crazy, the mess. She's getting better with the spoon, but I know she has to be a spaz for a while until she gets proficient, so meanwhile she gets more food on her face, clothing, the floor, me, and the high chair than in her mouth. And she'll play with it and dump the food jar or tub over if I don't watch her closely. I guess that's where I draw the line, is dumping the food out. I'll let her explore, but when she picks up the food container, it makes me crazy because she's always turning it sideways or upside down to explore it. And I'm like "No! No dumping!" And If I try to hold the container down on the high chair tray so she can get her spoon in and out without the thing sliding all over the tray, she gets cranky and moves it all the way to the edge of the tray and then spoons it from there to her mouth, which of course makes a bigger mess because most of it never makes it to her mouth. I guess she's trying to be independent, but it's frustrating my efforts to get food into her! Argh. I feel like I'm being really neurotic about this, but I don't know how to just let it go. I mean, I can't just let her do whatever she wants all the time when she's eating. I have to set some limits. So then I'm constantly trying to find a balance between letting her explore and learn and even have fun, and setting limits about what she is allowed to do with the food. And it's exhausting! I have a headache right now and I know it started a couple hours ago when I was trying to feed her. John is much more laid back about the messiness, but then he's a guy and they don't really see mess anyway. Mess blinders, they have. Now I'm talking like Yoda. I need to just go take a break and make some art.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Can we talk?

I wasn't upset about the ear piercing. And I didn't mind the tattoo..much. since it said Auntie Chris, I let it slide.

But I hope you didn't let Lily go out with that 'do. She has her reputation to uphold, you know.

Seriouely, I don't know how you manage. Your electrolytes must be way down. Have you checked your biorhythms lately?

Well, you look fine in the kitchen-assembly photo, so I have to assume you sent Lily out for a week or so.

no, that doesn't sound very nice. I take it back.


hahaAHAHAA!