Tuesday, October 28, 2008

After a Day of the Vomit Virus



These are blurry because they were basically taken in the dark. I'm lying on the floor in Lily's room and everyone is finally sleeping. Although Cocoa peeked when the flash went off. Phew, we made it. Poor Lily. After the second barfing this morning within an hour, we called the triage nurse at her clinic (which wasn't open yet) and she said Lily had the "vomit virus" that is going around. Ew.


I think I might have had that a few days ago, only I never actually vomited, just felt on the verge of it all day. Had to walk to Walgreen's with Lily in the stroller (about 3 blocks) to pick up some presciption anti-nausea meds. But enough about me.

My poor baby threw up about 6 times, I think. I lost count after we had to change her outfit for the 3rd time. All we could do was try to keep her hydrated, which meant giving her a few teaspoons of Pedialyte (baby Gatorade) every 5 minutes. For 4 hours, then if she had stopped vomiting, we could double the amount of liquid we gave her. But we couldn't give her anything else to eat or drink. It was heartbreaking watching her throw up and cry in bewilderment. We decided John would stay home, because we weren't sure how labor intensive this would be. It was not as bad as it could have been (said like a true Midwesterner). She did stop throwing up after noon. Took a long nap (I napped with her) without any barfing and then we started giving her more liquid and she kept it down. At about 7 in the evening we gave her some crackers and she was so happy! Every time one of us ate something today, she cried because she wanted some and we couldn't give it to her. So it was great to finally have her own crackers again. And she kept them down, no more barfing.

We don't know if she gets milk tomorrow morning or not, or if I should take her to her ECFE class. We're just glad to get through the day. We'll call the nurse in the morning to figure out what's next.


Notice how she's wearing the same jammies she wore this morning. Only because we had to do a load of vomity laundry.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Oh, man. This is horrible! Little baby! I'm glad it's over and that it didn't become a days' long trauma!

I must admit, I love these peaceful little sleepers.